When you use these services, you’ll share some information with us. So we want to be upfront about the information we collect, how we use it, whom we share it with, and the controls we give you to access, update, and delete your information.
Some final notes before we dive in: We’re happy to report that we participate in the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield, which you can read more about here.
Information We Collect
There are three basic categories of information we collect:
- Information you choose to give us.
- Information we get when you use our services.
- Information we get from third parties.
- Here’s a little more detail on each of these categories.
Information You Choose to Give Us
When you interact with our services, we collect the information that you choose to share with us. For example, most of our services require you to set up a basic Heroes Jobs account, so we need to collect a few important details about you, such as: a unique username you’d like to go by, a password, an email address, a phone number, and your date of birth. To make it easier for others to find you, we may also ask you to provide us with some additional information that will be publicly visible on our services, such as profile pictures, a name, or other useful identifying information. Other services, such as commerce products, may also require you to provide us with a debit or credit card number and its associated account information.
Of course, you’ll also provide us whatever information you send through our services, such as Heroes Jobs and Chats to your friends. Keep in mind that the users you send Heroes Jobs, Chats, and any other content to can always save that content or copy it outside the app. So, the same common sense that applies to the internet at large applies to Heroes Jobs as well: Don’t send messages or share content that you wouldn’t want someone to save or share.
It probably goes without saying, but we’ll say it anyway: When you contact customer support or communicate with us in any other way, we’ll collect whatever information you volunteer.
Information We Get When You Use Our Services
When you use our services, we collect information about which of those services you’ve used and how you’ve used them. We might know, for instance, that you watched a particular Story, saw a specific ad for a certain period of time, and sent a few Heroes Jobs to friends. Here’s a fuller explanation of the types of information we collect when you use our services:
- Usage Information. We collect information about your activity through our services. For example, we may collect information about:
- how you interact with our services, such as which filters you view or apply to Heroes Jobs, which Stories you watch on Discover, whether you’re using Spectacles, or which search queries you submit.
- how you communicate with other Heroes Jobsters, such as their names, the time and date of your communications, the number of messages you exchange with your friends, which friends you exchange messages with the most, and your interactions with messages (such as when you open a message or capture a screenshot).
- Content Information. We collect content you create on our services, such as custom stickers, and information about the content you create or provide, such as if the recipient has viewed the content and the metadata that is provided with the content.
- Device Information. We collect information from and about the devices you use. For example, we collect:
- information about your hardware and software, such as the hardware model, operating system version, device memory, advertising identifiers, unique application identifiers, apps installed, unique device identifiers, browser type, language, battery level, and time zone;
- information from device sensors, such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, compasses, microphones, and whether you have headphones connected; and
- information about your wireless and mobile network connections, such as mobile phone number, service provider, and signal strength.
- Device Phonebook. Because Heroes Jobs is all about communicating with friends, we may—with your permission—collect information from your device’s phonebook.
- Camera and Photos. Many of our services require us to collect images and other information from your device’s camera and photos. For example, you won’t be able to send Heroes Jobs or upload photos from your camera roll unless we can access your camera or photos.
- Location Information. When you use our services we may collect information about your location. With your permission, we may also collect information about your precise location using methods that include GPS, wireless networks, cell towers, Wi-Fi access points, and other sensors, such as gyroscopes, accelerometers, and compasses.
- Log Information. We also collect log information when you use our website. That information includes, among other things:
- details about how you’ve used our services.
- device information, such as your web browser type and language.
- access times.
- pages viewed.
- IP address.
- identifiers associated with cookies or other technologies that may uniquely identify your device or browser.
- pages you visited before or after navigating to our website.
Information We Collect from Third Parties
We may collect information that other users provide about you when they use our services. For example, if another user allows us to collect information from their device phonebook—and you’re one of that user’s contacts—we may combine the information we collect from that user’s phonebook with other information we have collected about you.
We may also obtain information from our affiliates and third parties. Here are a few examples:
- If you link your Heroes Jobs account to Bitmoji, we’ll receive information so you can use your Bitmoji on our services.
- Advertisers may let us know you installed a new app or game so we can determine whether we showed you an ad for it.
- If you interact with one of our advertisers, they may share information with us to help target or measure the performance of ads.
How We Use Information
The short answer is: Provide you with an amazing set of products and services that we relentlessly improve. Here are the ways we do that:
- develop, operate, improve, deliver, maintain, and protect our products and services.
- send you communications, including by email. For example, we may use email to respond to support inquiries or to share information about our products, services, and promotional offers that we think may interest you.
- monitor and analyze trends and usage.
- personalize our services by, among other things, suggesting friends or profile information, or customizing the content we show you, including ads.
- contextualize your experience by, among other things, tagging your Memories content using your precise location information (if, of course, you’ve given us permission to collect that information) and applying other labels based on the content.
- provide and improve ad targeting and measurement, including through the use of your precise location information (again, if you’ve given us permission to collect that information), both on and off our services. See the Control Over Your Information section below for more information about Heroes Jobs.’s advertising practices and your choices.
- enhance the safety and security of our products and services.
- verify your identity and prevent fraud or other unauthorized or illegal activity.
- use information we’ve collected from cookies and other technology to enhance our services and your experience with them.
- enforce our Terms of Service and other usage policies.
We may also use information from Apple’s TrueDepth camera to improve the quality of Lenses. Information from the TrueDepth camera is used in real time—we don’t store this information on our servers or share it with third parties.
How We Share Information
We may share information about you in the following ways:
- With other Heroes Jobsters. We may share the following information with other Heroes Jobsters:
- information about you, such as your username, name, and Bitmoji.
- information about how you have interacted with our services, such as your Heroes Jobs “score,” the names of Heroes Jobsters you are friends with, and other information that will help Heroes Jobsters understand your connections with others using our services. For example, because it may not be clear whether a new friend request comes from someone you actually know, we may share whether you and the requestor have Heroes Jobs friends in common.
- any additional information you have directed us to share.
- content you post or send. How widely your content is shared depends on your personal settings and the type of service you are using. For example, a Heroes Jobs may be sent to just a single friend you select, but your My Story content may be seen by any Heroes Jobster whom you allow to see your My Story.
- With all Heroes Jobsters, our business partners, and the general public. We may share the following information with all Heroes Jobsters as well as with our business partners and the general public:
- public information like your name, username, Heroes Jobscode and profile pictures.
- Story submissions that are set to be viewable by Everyone and any content that you submit to an inherently public service, like Our Story and other crowd-sourced services. This content may be viewed and shared by the public at large both on and off our services, including through search results, on websites, in apps, and in online and offline broadcasts.
- With third parties. We may share your information with the following third parties:
- With service providers. We may share information about you with service providers who perform services on our behalf.
- With business partners. We may share information about you with business partners that provide services and functionality.
- With third parties for legal reasons. We may share information about you if we reasonably believe that disclosing the information is needed to:
- comply with any valid legal process, governmental request, or applicable law, rule, or regulation.
- investigate, remedy, or enforce potential Terms of Service violations.
- protect the rights, property, and safety of us, our users, or others.
- detect and resolve any fraud or security concerns.
- With third parties as part of a merger or acquisition. If Heroes Jobs. gets involved in a merger, asset sale, financing, liquidation or bankruptcy, or acquisition of all or some portion of our business to another company, we may share your information with that company before and after the transaction closes.
We may also share with third parties—such as advertisers—aggregated, non-personally identifiable, or de-identified information.
Third-Party Content and Integrations
Our services may also contain third-party links and search results, include third-party integrations, or offer a co-branded or third-party-branded service. Through these links, third-party integrations, and co-branded or third-party-branded services, you may be providing information (including personal information) directly to the third party, us, or both. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for how those third parties collect or use your information. As always, we encourage you to review the privacy policies of every third-party service that you visit or use, including those third parties you interact with through our services.
Analytics and Advertising Services
Provided by Others
Provided by Us
How Long We Keep Your Information
Heroes Jobs lets you capture what it’s like to live in the moment. On our end, that means most messages—like Heroes Jobs and Chats—sent in Heroes Jobs will be automatically deleted by default from our servers after we detect they’ve been opened by all recipients or have expired. Other content, like Story posts, are stored for longer.
We store other information for longer periods of time. For example:
- We store your basic account information—like your name, phone number, and email address—and list of friends until you ask us to delete them.
- We store location information for different lengths of time based on how precise it is and which services you use. For example, if you use the Map, we store information about your favorite places for up to 40 days so we can show you Actionmoji and improve your experience. If location information is associated with a Heroes Jobs—like those saved to Memories or posted to Our Story—we’ll retain that location as long as we store the Heroes Jobs.
- We’re constantly collecting and updating information about the things you might like and dislike, so we can provide you with more relevant content and advertisements. Go here to learn more.
If you ever decide to stop using Heroes Jobs, you can just ask us to delete your account. We’ll also delete most of the information we’ve collected about you after you’ve been inactive for a while—but don’t worry, we’ll try to contact you first!
Keep in mind that, while our systems are designed to carry out our deletion practices automatically, we cannot promise that deletion will occur within a specific timeframe. There may be legal requirements to store your data and we may need to suspend those deletion practices if we receive valid legal process asking us to preserve content or if we receive reports of abuse or other Terms of Service violations. Finally, we may also retain certain information in backup for a limited period of time or as required by law.
Control over Your Information
We want you to be in control of your information, so we provide you with the following tools.
- Download My Data. You can access and edit most of your basic account information right in our apps. Because your privacy is important to us, we may ask you to verify your identity or provide additional information before we let you access or update your personal information. We may also reject your request to access or update your personal information for a number of reasons, including, for example, that the request risks the privacy of other users or is unlawful.
- Revoking permissions. If you let us use your information, you can always change your mind and simply revoke your permission by changing the settings on your device if your device offers those options. Of course, if you do that, certain services may lose full functionality.
- Deletion. You can also delete some information in the app, like photos you’ve saved to Memories, Our Story submissions, and search history.
- Advertising Preferences. We try to show you ads that we think will be relevant to your interests. If you would like to modify the information we and our advertising partners use to select these ads, you can do so in the app.
- Communicating with other Heroes Jobsters. It’s important to us that you stay in control over whom you communicate with. That’s why we’ve built a number of tools in Settings that let you indicate, among other things, who you want to see your Stories, whether you’d like to receive Heroes Jobs from just your friends or all Heroes Jobsters, and whether you’d like to block another Heroes Jobster from contacting you again.
Users in the European Union
If you’re a user in the European Union, you should know that Heroes Jobs. is the controller of your personal information. Here is some additional information we would like to bring to your attention:
Bases for using your information
Your country only allows us to use your personal information when certain conditions apply. These conditions are called “legal bases” and, at Heroes Jobs, we typically rely on one of four:
- Contract. One reason we might use your information is because you’ve entered into an agreement with us. For example, when you buy an On-Demand Geofilter and accepted our Custom Creative Tools Terms, we need to use some of your information to collect payment and make sure we show your Geofilter to the right people at the right place and time.
- Legitimate interest. Another reason we might use your information is because we have—or a third party has—a legitimate interest in doing so. For example, we need to use your information to provide and improve our services, including protecting your account, delivering your Heroes Jobs, providing customer support, and helping you find friends and content we think you’ll like. Because most of our services are free, we also use some information about you to try and show you ads you’ll find interesting. An important point to understand about legitimate interest is that our interests don’t outweigh your right to privacy, so we only rely on legitimate interest when we think the way we are using your data doesn’t significantly impact your privacy or would be expected by you, or there is a compelling reason to do so.
- Consent. In some cases we’ll ask for consent to use your information for specific purposes. If we do, we’ll make sure you can revoke your consent in our services or through your device permissions. Even if we’re not relying on consent to use your information, we may ask you for permission to access data like contacts and location.
- Legal obligation. We may be required to use your personal information to comply with the law, like when we respond to valid legal process or need to take action to protect our users. Since November 15, 2015, our policy has been to notify Heroes Jobsters when we receive legal process seeking their account information, with some exceptions.
Your right to object
You have the right to object to our use of your information. With many types of data, we’ve provided you with the ability to simply delete it if you don’t want us processing it anymore. For other types of data, we’ve given you the ability to stop the use of your data by disabling the feature altogether. You can do these things in the app.
We may collect your personal information from, transfer it to, and store and process it in the United States and other countries outside of where you live. Whenever we share information of EU users outside the EU we make sure an adequate transfer mechanism is in place.
Our services are not intended for—and we don’t direct them to—anyone under 13. And that’s why we do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under 13. In addition, we may limit how we collect, use, and store some of the information of EU users between 13 and 16. In some cases, this means we will be unable to provide certain functionality to these users. If we need to rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your information and your country requires consent from a parent, we may require your parent’s consent before we collect and use that information.